Saturday, July 28, 2007


I've heard it said that journaling can be like therapy for the soul. I hope blogging counts. I could use a little therapy today. Zander is at the San Diego Comic Con, and that means it's my time to rip something up around the house. Last year the rip-something-up-tradition began when the cheesy pergo floor in the kitchen needed to come out. Underneath it was a semi-ugly linoleum that I considered an upgrade. Well, I've lived with that linoleum for a year now, and it's days are done. I ripped most of it out to expose the hard wood floor underneath. Writing it down makes it sound so easy. It wasn't. I'm sore all over. And I've got splinters. And bruises from whacking myself in the shin with a crowbar that I was trying to pry nails out with. This project has helped me see that I could do more construction like things around the house, it's not that hard, but I need to have more tools than a crowbar, a screwdriver and a hammer that's head keeps flying off. Now that I've got the linoleum and the subfloor removed, I've still got to get the screws whose heads have popped off out of the floor somehow. And, I've got to clean the papery glue off the wood. Then there are the gaping holes that are going to require a more substantial molding to cover them up. I'm frazzled. I don't want to spend a dime on this project and I want to have it all done and prettied up by midnight on Monday when Zander gets home. Bleh.

In other news, I'll write more about our trip to Provence one of these days! I've got loads of great pictures, but I need lots of time to just sit down and do it.

4 comments:

Ugly Juice said...

You are going to be so happy when you are done and you won't even remember the bruises a few weeks from now...

Dr Em said...

i think ripping stuff up sounds therapeutic! i can't wait to see your latest project. you're an inspiration. i should at least attempt to do stuff around the house.

Unknown said...

Thanks guys! It's looking pretty good now. It needs some love, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Jocelyn said...

Ripping up the linoleum is great blogging fodder (I posted a photo much like this one a few months ago!). Isn't it so cool to see the floor how it was intended to be?