Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Balance

On New Years Day I was on my way to get groceries when I saw a man running off of the highway and away from his smoking truck. I pulled over and asked him if he needed help, and probably (buried deep inside) I hoped that answer was no. But yeah, he did need some help. He needed my cell phone, which I handed over, no problem. Then, he needed a ride home. At that point, a tiny little voice inside told me that it's not safe to pick up strangers off the side of the road, but an even bigger voice yelled about how much of a jerk I'd look like if I refused. So I let him in the car and started to drive him home. (Some of you are now thinking how stupid I am, and some are probably wondering what the big deal is) Anyway, I was a little bit scared, so I called Zander to let him know what I was doing and then he rode along. Of course we're safe, but I keep thinking about all the what-ifs. Crap! What if something happened to me or to Zander because I said yes to something that I really didn't want to say yes to in the first place? I've seen that movie about passing it on, and I think karma happens, and of course I want the world to be a better place, but WTF, how do ya do it all and take care of yourself, too?

No comments: