Sunday, August 19, 2007

My aunt Ailene and uncle Ed have been sweethearts in Plattsmouth, Nebraska for lots and lots of years now. Their family is etched into my childhood memories. They ran the town movie theater for a while and that's where I saw Every Which Way but Loose. They raised chickens in their back yard and that has since made me wonder about my future as an urban chicken farmer. In my mind I can hear how Ailene's voice sounded when she called her kids to dinner. I call hear exactly how she called me Joolie Doolie. She died this Saturday. It was so, so unexpected. Here's her simple recipe for the best cucumbers ever.
4 cucumbers sliced thin
1 onion (that I hate, so I don't use them)
1 cup of Miracle Whip
1/2 cup of sugar
4 T of vinegar
Mix. Cover. Refrigerate. Let them sit for at least 1 hour before serving.