Wednesday, February 02, 2005

yum

This week I got out all the old cookbooks and found this recipe. I hadn't made it before and was a bit of a skeptic (too many weird spices), but it was absolutely delicious. I'm sure it could easily be tweaked to be vegetarian.

INDIAN STYLE POTATO-SPINACH SOUP WITH CHICKEN
2 tsp of olive oil
boneless chicken breasts, diced
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 tsp caraway seeds (had to go buy these)
2 large cloves of garlic
2 TBL hot curry powder
1/2 tsp of ground cardamom (had to go buy this)
6 cups of chicken broth
2 large sweet potatoes, cubed (recipe calls for white potatoes, but I think these taste better)
1 thawed pkg of frozen spinach
1 cup of chopped tomatoes, including the juice
salt and pepper

Just sautee the chicken, onions and garlic with all of the spices and then stir in the broth and potatoes. Cook all of this until the potatoes are tender and then dump in the spinach and tomatoes.

By the way, this recipe came from Skinny Soups. I LOVE this cookbook. I can throw together most things, but usually when I try this throw method with soups, they end up tasting like crap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm..this sounds very,very tasty. I am going to print it off.
Thanks for sharing,
-la

Anonymous said...

I Love this cookbook, too. I can't wait to make that soup. It sounds too delicious. Do you know that there is a whole series of those Skinny Cookbooks? Skinny Mexican, Italian, etc., etc.