Tuesday, April 26, 2005

get cooking

Did you see the falafel recipe in yesterday's paper? It's on my (very short) list of ones to try. I didn't really know what they were until I tried them (and loved them) at the Highland Grille with the lovely Anne Marie and Haller. They were a little different than this recipe--black beans and deep fried, served with a pinapple salsa...yummmm. But this one does look a BIT healthier!

4 servings
1 can drained garbanzos
3 green onions
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup of chopped parsley
1/4 cup of cilantro
Juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp red-pepper flakes
salt and pepper

Put everything in a food processor. Pulse until everything is chopped and beginning to come together. Form mixture so that it's golf-balled-sized and plop them on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 18 or so minutes.

Serve it up on a pita with lettuce, tomatoes, cucs, and olives.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmmy. Falafel is gooooooood... I like the whole baking the falafel rather than frying it concept. Maybe I could spring it on Mr. "Falafel is Awful" Steve - he doesn't like the fried.

Unknown said...

Ok, we made these tonight. Except I was really hungy and doubled it. Not having 2 cans of chickpeas, I used 1 of chick and 1 of black beans. I maybe didn't drain them thoroughly enough though. Also, budge the time up to 20+minutes. Pretty delish.

Unknown said...

The falafels were delightfel. I expect I'll be having another when I get home tonight. Mmm Mmm.